We understand that moving to a new country and role can be daunting. Knowing what is in your employment contract gives you peace of mind.
AMA Queensland can arrange a phone meeting before you move or start your new position. One of our Workplace Relations Team members will step through the terms and conditions with you, clarify any areas of uncertainty. If you have accepted a position in Queensland's public hospital system, we will also connect you with our union partner, ASMOFQ, for tailored advice and support.
Our IMG members receive a wealth of support in transitioning to employment and life in Queensland, including:
- Advice getting an MBS provider number.
- An introduction to our trusted network of corporate partners in legal, accounting, insurance, banking, finance and vehicle services.
- Exclusive travel deals with flight discounts with Emirates, reduced QANTAS and Virgin Lounge membership and personalised service through travel partner Orbit World Travel.
- Networking and educational events around the state to help you make new local contacts.
- Subscriptions to industry journals and resources such as the Medical Journal of Australia and Doctor Q to keep you informed of the latest news and opportunities in Queensland.
The organisations below are your first contact points as International Medical Graduates seeking employment in Australia as medical officers. They provide the information and pathways relevant to obtaining certification of your medical degree and your medical registration which is a requirement for practising medicine here in Australia.
The AMA has long supported overseas-trained doctors, calling for appropriate resources, training, services and working conditions to ensure overseas trained doctors are able to thrive in Australia's medical profession. For more information on how AMA has been advocating on your behalf, please read the below position statements:
- Good medical practice: a code of conduct for doctors in Australia
- Guidelines for advertising regulated health services
- Guidelines for mandatory notifications
- Sexual boundaries: guidelines for doctors
- Guidelines for technology-based patient consultations
- Information on inter-jurisdictional technology based patient consultations
- Guidelines - Supervised practice for international medical graduates
- Medical Board of Australia - Supervision
The three main pathways to registration in Australia are set out on the Australian Medical Council (AMC) website.
You can do an online self-assessment check to work out which pathway is right for you.
Read more about the AMC Application procedures on the AMC website, including a booklet for IMGs on Applying to the AMC.
doctorportal Learning is a state-of-the-art, mobile friendly, continuing professional development (CPD) learning management system for Australian doctors. Developed with the busy doctor in mind, doctorportal Learning offers you:
- CPD point tracking across multiple specialties;
- 24/7 access to online, medical education;
- a range of learning content that suits your interest and/or specialty;
- support in meeting your Medical Board of Australia CPD reporting obligations; and
- guidance on your CPD requirements (YES, we know how many points you need and when).
For your FREE 60-day trial to see how doctorportal Learning can help you manage your CPD.
First year practising in Australia: 25% off membership fees.
Apply over the phone: call our Membership Team on 07 3872 2222
If you have any questions about AMA Queensland membership, or the special offers available to you, please contact the Membership Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 07 3872 2222.