AMA submission to the Australian Government Review of Medicare Locals
19 Dec 2013
The AMA has made a submission to the Australian Government Review of Medicare Locals. Former Chief Medical Officer, Professor John Horvath will oversee the Review.
The AMA submission is supportive of a network of Primary Health Care Organisations (PHCO), but highlights significant problems in the design and implementation of Medicare Locals. The AMA submissions calls for fundamental changes to the model implemented by the former Government so that a future PHCO structure is
- GP-led and locally responsive;
- focused on supporting GPs in caring for patients, working collaboratively with other health care professionals;
- not overburdened by excessive paperwork and policy prescription
- focused on addressing service gaps, not replicating existing services; and
- better aligned with Local Hospital Networks, with a strong emphasis on improving the primary care/hospital interface.