COVID-19 Vaccination information and resources for GPs
Updated fact sheet to help manage risk of COVID-19 transmission
The Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care has updated advice to support health service organisations with risk assessment in relation to COVID-19 and development of a comprehensive Risk Management Plan. The updated fact sheet is available here: COVID-19: infection prevention and control risk management.
National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce Communique
The National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce has released a new communique which includes seven new treatment recommendations for pregnant and breastfeeding women, including indications for sotrovimab and the use of magnesium sulfate.
The taskforce also has a useful guide for patients with questions about Ivermectin as a treatment of prophylaxes for COVID-19: National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce: Frequently Asked Questions on the Taskforce Ivermectin Recommendation.
Ivermectin should not be used for the treatment of COVID-19 outside of randomised trials with appropriate ethical approval.
Department of Health resources
The Department of Health has published several collections of resources about COVID-19 vaccination, vaccine rollout, and clinical guidance from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI). These resources are updated when new information is available, so GPs should ensure they have access to the latest versions.
Vaccine product information
· ATAGI and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) have released joint guidance on the risk of myocarditis and pericarditis following Pfizer vaccination following an observed risk observed in overseas studies, especially in males under 30 years of age after the second doses. The Pfizer Product Information has been updated to reflect this.
· The Product Information (PI) for the AstraZeneca vaccine has been updated to include Capillary Leak Syndrome (CLS) as a contraindication for the AstraZeneca vaccine. Providers should be aware of the information contained in the PI and individuals with a known history of CLS should not be vaccinated with AstraZeneca.
Patient information sheets
2. Information on AstraZeneca: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-information-on-covid-19-astrazeneca-vaccine
4. After your AstraZeneca: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-after-your-astrazeneca-vaccine
6. Provider information on consent: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-consent-information-for-providers-covid-19-vaccination-consent-and-faqs
7. Frequently asked questions on the Taskforce Ivermectin recommendation: https://covid19evidence.net.au/wp-content/uploads/NC19CET-Ivermectin-FAQs-20210826.pdf
Clinical guidance and decision guides
9. COVID-19 vaccine – Clinical considerations: https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/information-for-covid-19-vaccination-providers/covid-19-vaccine-clinical-considerations
10. Selection of second dose in specific circumstances: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-clinical-advice-on-the-use-of-a-different-covid-19-vaccine-as-the-second-dose
11. Shared decision making guide – pregnancy: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-shared-decision-making-guide-for-women-who-are-pregnant-breastfeeding-or-planning-pregnancy
12. Shared decision making guide – frail older people: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-shared-decision-making-guide-for-frail-older-people-including-those-in-residential-aged-care-facilities
13. Shared decision making guide – palliative care: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-shared-decision-making-guide-for-people-receiving-palliative-care-or-end-of-life-care
14. Shared decision making guide – immunocompromise: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/atagi-covid-19-vaccination-shared-decision-making-guide-for-people-with-immunocompromise
15. Provider guide on immunocompromise: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/atagi-provider-guide-to-covid-19-vaccination-of-people-with-immunocompromise
16. Primary care guide on TTS: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-primary-care-approach-to-thrombosis-with-thrombocytopenia-syndrome-after-covid-19-astrazeneca-vaccine
17. Provider information – TTS: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-information-for-immunisation-providers-on-thrombosis-with-thrombocytopenia-syndrome-tts-following-covid-19-vaccination
19. COVID-19 vaccination – Guide to engage and support aged care workers to get a COVID-19 vaccine: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-guide-to-engage-and-support-aged-care-workers-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine
Resources for doctors working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients
· Updated guidance on TGA advertising restrictions, explaining how you can inform your patients about different vaccine brands availability in your clinic. This includes social, posters and web content.
· A video animation in plain English that could be sent to your patients’ emails or used in your clinic waiting room explaining what to expect on your vaccination day, side effects and the need for two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.
· A suite of talking points designed for healthcare workers, to assist them with having conversations with patients about COVID-19 vaccines.
· Updated social resources with suggested captions to use across your social media networks
Resources for doctors about pregnancy
· COVID-19 Vaccination in Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women: https://ranzcog.edu.au/statements-guidelines/covid-19-statement/covid-19-vaccination-information
· Joint statement between RANZCOG and ATAGI about COVID-19 vaccination for pregnant women: https://www.health.gov.au/news/joint-statement-between-ranzcog-and-atagi-about-covid-19-vaccination-for-pregnant-women
· COVID-19 vaccination – Consent – Information for providers: COVID-19 vaccination consent and FAQs: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-atagi-immunisation-provider-guide-to-obtaining-informed-consent-for-covid-19-vaccine
· COVID-19 vaccination – Guidance on Myocarditis and Pericarditis after mRNA COVID-19 vaccines: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-guidance-on-myocarditis-and-pericarditis-after-mrna-covid-19-vaccines
· Information for people with disability about COVID-19 vaccines: https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/information-for-service-providers-workers-and-people-with-disability-about-covid-19-vaccines/information-for-people-with-disability-about-covid-19-vaccines
· Talking to patients about AstraZeneca vaccine: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/talking-to-patients-about-astrazeneca-vaccine
· ATAGI statement on use of COVID-19 vaccines in an outbreak setting: https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-statement-on-use-of-covid-19-vaccines-in-an-outbreak-setting
· COVID-19 vaccination – updated provider kit for general practices: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-updated-provider-kit-for-general-practices
· COVID-19 vaccination – Practice Incentives Program COVID-19 vaccine general practice incentive guidelines: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-pip-general-practice-incentive-guidelines
· Updated ATAGI advice on administering seasonal influenza vaccines in 2021: https://www.health.gov.au/news/updated-atagi-advice-on-administering-seasonal-influenza-vaccines-in-2021
· Weighing up the potential benefits against risk of harm from COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-weighing-up-the-potential-benefits-against-risk-of-harm-from-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca
· COVID-19 vaccination – AstraZeneca vaccine risk-benefit printable: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-astrazeneca-vaccine-risk-benefit-printable
· COVID-19 vaccination – ATAGI guidance on the use of multi-dose vials for COVID-19 vaccination: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccination-atagi-guidance-on-the-use-of-multi-dose-vials-for-covid-19-vaccination
Members are also reminded that if you are part of the vaccine roll out and have any problems, the key point of contact in the Commonwealth to raise these is the Vaccine Operations Centre (VOC) that can be contacted on:
Phone: 1800 318 308
Note: The VOC hours of operation are between 7am to 10pm (AEST).