Revised supervision guidelines for IMGs
New International Medical Graduate (IMG) supervision requirements will come into effect on 4 January 2016.
The Board’s Guidelines - Supervised practice for international medical graduates will replace the current Guidelines for supervised practice for limited registration. The key changes to supervision arrangements for IMGs are:
- changes to the requirements for supervisors, including a new online education and assessment module for supervisors
- changes to the number of IMGs permitted per supervisor (no more than four)
- clearer descriptions of the four levels of supervision
- revised supervision arrangements for IMGs working after-hours, on-call or providing home visits and locum services
- a new process for appointing temporary supervisors
- a new audit provision - IMGs and their supervisors may be audited to check compliance with the Board’s supervision requirements.
More information, including a copy of the revised guidelines, is available on the Supervision page of the Medical Board of Australia website.