24 Mar 2016
Stories of interest to GPs in Australian Medicine cover future hospital funding, private health insurance arrangements, e-health, the cost of Hep C treatments, and the continuing challenge of rural health:
- Turnbull’s hospital pass - Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has indicated financial relief for public hospitals will depend on finding additional sources of revenue, delivering a blow to hopes of averting a multi-billion dollar funding crisis set to hit the system from next year;
- The AMA shines a light on murky insurance deals - Health insurance premiums are being inflated by commissions and many consumers are being lured into unnecessarily switching cover because of murky arrangements between health funds and insurance comparison websites, the AMA has warned;
- The Government ignores flaws in e-health push - The Federal Government is pushing ahead with mass trials of its My Health Record e-health system despite concerns that fundamental shortcomings are yet to be addressed;
- Hepatitis C cure could come at a cost - The Federal Government has begun to draw down putative savings from cuts to pathology and diagnostic imaging bulk billing incentives to subsidise access to advanced hepatitis C treatments;
- Rural health: the continuing challenge; and
- Australia, smoke-free?