Budget funding will support the wellbeing of doctors and medical students
The AMA Council of Doctors in Training (AMACDT) was pleased to see the 2021-22 Federal Budget commit funding to implement Every Doctor, Every Setting: A National Framework as part of a national commitment to prioritise the mental health and wellbeing of Australian doctors and medical students.
The National Framework was launched in October last year and this new funding will support the implementation the National Framework, which outlines strategies to guide action across all medical settings to aide action and initiate broad reaching reform in five key areas:
- Primary prevention: Improving training and work environments.
- Secondary prevention: Recognising and responding to those needing support.
- Tertiary prevention: Improving response to doctors and medical students impacted.
- Mental health promotion: Improving the culture of the medical profession to enable wellbeing.
- Leadership: Improving coordinated action and accountability.
The implementation of the National Framework will lead to a reduction in the risks associated with stress, burnout and mental ill-health for medical professionals and improved access to treatment and support, free from judgement.
You can support Every Doctor, Every Setting: A national framework as a government body, an organisation or service or as an individual. Learn more and sign up to the National Framework here