These Standards are intended to facilitate discussion between health services (Department of Health/Human Services, public and private hospitals), General Practitioners (GPs) and other treating doctors for the purpose of driving key processes to: enhance clinical safety; improve health outcomes, patient experience and resource efficiencies across Australian health system; and reduce avoidable hospital presentations and risk.
The Standards cover the following 10 areas:
1. Referral information from a practitioner to a health service;
2. GP details;
3. Supported access to a GP;
4. Timely communication;
5. Handover to a GP;
6. Information transmission;
7. Outpatient services intake and appointment systems;
8. Outpatient services communication;
9. Discharge planning process; and
10. Managing quality.
The AMA acknowledges the work of AMA Victoria (AMAV), with the Standards having been adapted from a similar publication prepared by AMAV.