Updated information on influenza vaccines
As a member of the GP Roundtable, and the National Immunisation Committee, the AMA has been advised of updated information regarding seasonal influenza vaccines. The Government has developed a suite of educational and promotional communication resources for vaccination providers and consumers to support awareness and uptake of influenza vaccination in 2018 under the National Immunisation Program (NIP).
The Department of Health’s immunisation website contains updated information on the following:
Resources for vaccination providers:
- 2018 seasonal influenza vaccines – clinical advice for vaccination providers
- Check you have the right vaccine (safety card by age and vaccine)
- Check age before giving the flu shot (safety sticker for vaccine refrigerators)
- ATAGI statement on 2018 seasonal influenza vaccines
- Australian Immunisation Register – factsheet for vaccination providers
Resources for consumers:
- The flu vaccine – factsheet for consumers
- The flu vaccine – factsheet for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- The flu vaccine – poster for general setting
- The flu vaccine – poster for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander setting
- Vaccinate against flu. Protect your baby too – brochure for pregnant women
- Vaccinate against flu. Protect your baby too – factsheet for pregnant women
- Vaccinate against flu. Protect your baby too – poster for maternal health setting
Please note that hardcopy materials, accompanied by correspondence from the Chief Medical Officer, have been mailed to vaccination providers Australia-wide including GPs, Aboriginal Medical Services, and other providers in each state and territory.
Additional copies of the resources can be ordered through the Department’s website via the links above. To support uptake of vaccination, GPs are encouraged to ensure eligible individuals are aware of the Program and take the opportunity to receive the free influenza vaccine.